Each software system relies on infrastructure elements to be operated correctly. Caused by the growing complexity and distributed manner of modern software systems the management of infrastructure get more and more important. In parallel the delivery and operation of software gain more attention. The agile manifest proposes the continuously delivery of valuable software to the customer. A tight integration of methods from software engineering and software operation the software development process can achieve this goal.
Faced with these challenges new approaches und methods are proposed. Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery focus on the automation of software building and testing in a deployment pipeline.
Fueled by this approaches infrastructure automation is integrated in the software development process. Infrastructure is described and handled in a declarative manner like normal source code. Common known software engineering methods where transferred to the infrastructure and operation domain. In similar principles like virtualization from the operation domain extends the daily work of developers. This all leads to the holistic approach of DevOps or Continuous Software Engineering.
These project aims to identify and evaluate a systematic approach of introducing methods from DevOps or CSE into the software development processes of two mid-sized software companies. Starting the establishment of an organization wide deployment pipeline for all produced software components and infrastructure elements. At the end of this pipeline an executable system is delivered in terms of software, infrastructure, configuration and data.
Based on the experiences in working with this pipeline the relationship and interaction between software architecture, infrastructure, build pipeline and organization will be analyzed and evaluated.
- IVU Traffic Technologies AG
- Kisters AG
- A. R. Sabau, S. Hacks, A. Steffens (2021): Implementation of a continuous delivery pipeline for enterprise architecture model evolution. In Softw. Syst. Model., Vol. 20 (1), 117–145.
- S. Aydin, A. Steffens, H. Lichter (2021): Automated Construction of Continuous Delivery Pipelines from Architecture Models. In 28th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC) (to be published).
- C. Plewnia, A. Steffens, N. Wild, H. Lichter (2020): A lightweight collaborative approach for teaching software project labs with industry partners. In Joint Proceedings of 3rd Software Engineering Education Workshop (SEED 2020) & Workshop on NLP Advancements for Software Engineering (NLPaSE 2020 ), Singapore, December 1, CEUR-WS.org, Vol. 2799, 1-8.
- P. Alexander, S. Hacks, J. Jung, U. Steffens, Ö. Uludag, H. Lichter (2020): A Framework for Managing Enterprise Architecture Debts – Outline and Research Directions. In EMISA 2020 conference, CEUR-WS.org.
- S. Hacks, A. Steffens, P. Hansen, N. Rajashekar (2019): A Continuous Delivery Pipeline for EA Model Evolution. In I. Reinhartz-Berger, J. Zdravkovic, J. Gulden, R. Schmidt (eds), Enterprise, Business-Process and Information Systems Modeling. BPMDS 2019, EMMSAD 2019, Springer International Publishing, Cham, 141-155.
- J. Schwarz, A. Steffens, H. Lichter (2018): Code Smells in Infrastructure as Code. In 11th International Conference on the Quality of Information and Communications Technology, IEEE, 220-228.
- A. Steffens, H. Lichter, J. S. Döring (2018): Designing a Next-generation Continuous Software Delivery System: Concepts and Architecture. In Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Rapid Continuous Software Engineering, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1-7.
- A. Steffens, H. Lichter, M. Moscher (2018): Towards Data-driven Continuous Compliance Testing. In Proceedings of the 3nd Workshop on Continuous Software Engineering (CSE 2018), CEUR-WS.org, Vol. 2066, 78-84.
- S. Krusche, H. Lichter, D. Riehle, A. Steffens (2017): Report of the 2nd Workshop on Continuous Software Engineering. In Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Continuous Software Engineering (CSE 2017), CEUR-WS.org, Vol. 1806, 1-6.
- M. Vianden, H. Lichter, A. Steffens (2014): Experience on a Microservice-based Reference Architecture for Measurement Systems. In 21th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC 2014), Jeju, South Korea, December 1-4, 2014, Vol. 1, 183-190.
- M. Vianden, H. Lichter, A. Steffens (2013): Towards a Maintainable Federalist Enterprise Measurement Infrastructure. In Joint Conference of the 23nd International Workshop on Software Measurement (IWSM) and the 8th International Conference on Software Process and Product Measurement (Mensura), 23-26 October, Ankara, Turkey, 63-70.